Should I give it a try?
This is the right tour for you if:You love nature and culture (amazing landscapes next to our social project, a local community in the highlands).
The Rainbow Mountain in Peru has received a lot of attention lately and it is definitely one of the top places to visit in Cusco. When you are in the city of the Incas, we highly recommend doing the Tres Rainbows hike and get to know these postcard-like mountains and its unique landscape. The Rainbow Mountains in Peru will astonish you immediately because of their variety of colors due to the existing minerals in the soil.
This is not the typical trekking tour to the Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain where you will be with hundreds of other tourists fighting to get the best photo with no people on it. This is the alternative rainbow mountain tour on which you will not only see "one" Rainbow Mountain but three and the hike is only 1 hour (1.5 km/0.9 miles each way) instead of 3 hours. Also, you will not be bothered by large tourist groups around and you might even be accompanied by an alpaca during the hike. With us, you will arrive first at the the Rainbow Mountains and also get to know more about the local community living there. If you want to see what other travelers said about the tour you can check out the review video of the alternative rainbow mountain.
4:00 am: Pick-up from your hotel in Cusco
5:45 am: Breakfast with an incredible view over the valley
8:00 am: Visit of the Palccoyo community and its potato museum (created in collaboration with exploor in October 2018)
9:30 am: Arrival at the parking lot (view of the 1strainbow mountain) + Briefing
10:00 am: Visit of the 2ndrainbow mountain
10:30 am: Visit of the 3rdrainbow mountain + break with coca tea and snacks
11:00 am: Hike up to the stone forest (optional) with a spectacular view
11:30 am: Head back to the car and drive to the restaurant
1:50 pm: Lunch in local restaurant
4:30-5:00 pm: Arrival in Cusco and drop-off at your hotel
Note: All times are approximations.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Fluent English/ Spanish speaking local guide
- Small group tour with 2-8 people
- Visit of local community
- Breakfast and lunch (vegetarian and vegan food options available)
- Snacks: Cookies, coca leaves, cookies and a coca/muña tea when arriving at the mountain
- Hike with Alpaca (it's optional: only joining us in case there is no snow, very low probability of having snow)
- Trekking poles
- First-aid kit and oxygen
- Entrance to the Rainbow Mountain area (S/ 10)
- Tips for your guide
- It is almost impossible to forecast the weather. Forecasts by google or other weather apps are not reliable, as the weather is unpredictable at this altitude in the mountains. There can be sun, clouds, rain, hail, snow or thunderstorms. Thus, please be prepared and follow our recommendations (our experienced guides know what to do in case the weather turns bad).
- Bring change in order to pay small expenses, such as for using the restroom or to support the locals by buying their handicrafts (from 4 up to 100 soles). Donations to the community, such as old clothes or utilities, such as pens, notebooks etc. are more than welcome.
- Clothing: Bring your backpack, a rain cape, gloves, a hat, hiking shoes, an extra pair of socks and wear layers of hiking clothes so you'll be warm
- Bring sunscreen, sunglasses and some extra money
- Pack some snacks and coca leaves
Terms of Reservation:
- Due to high demand during the high season, please book your tour at least 48 hours in advance to guarantee a spot. We accept all reservations until 2:00 pm on the day before the tour (only if you send us the required information asked by us in our confirmation mail until 2:00 pm).
- After the booking has been made, please respond to our automatic email asking about necessary information for the tour, such as pickup spot, food preferences and more.
- Minimum 2 people
- Minimum age is 12 years old
- If you buy the group tour and there are not a minimum of 2 people in total you have the option to:
- postpone the date of the tour
- receive a refund
- pay the difference to the private tour and do the private tour
Terms of Cancellation:
- If you cancel less than 3 days before the start of your tour, there won’t be any refunds.
- If you cancel between 3-7 days before the start of your tour, we will refund 50%.
- If you cancel more than 7 days before the start of the tour, we will refund 100%.
- Changing the date of your tour costs $20 per traveler and is subject to availability.
- We are not to be held liable in case of delayed flights, inconveniences with train schedules or bad weather.
- Bathrooms are available at the breakfast & lunch restaurant and at the parking lot.
- It's not possible to rent a horse for the hike.
- It is possible that the community, as well as the alpaca, are not available due to reasons beyond our control (sickness of community member, family issues or others). The probability is very very low and we are in daily contact with them to make sure everything will be fine for the next day. Still, the probability exists. We are not to be held liable in case no lama or alpaca will be available or in case of any circumstance arising with the animals. We will proceed with the tour without any refund.
- For security reasons, we don't allow drones during group tours, only during private tours.