City: Iquitos, Jungle // Activities: Trekking, bird watching, boat tour, fishing //
Validity: Buy TODAY and you have up to 5 months to reserve the experience. Minimum 2 people.
Contact us to check the availability of the tour before buying.
DAY 1: IQUITOS AMAZON - HELICONIA AMAZON RIVER LODGE + MONKEY ISLAND
You will be received and welcomed in the luggage area at the Iquitos International Airport, where lodge representatives will help and transfer you towards the provider’s office in Iquitos. Once there, you will be informed about the treks and services. You will also receive some important tips about all what you must do and mustn't do in the jungle. After a short wait, you will be transferred to the Iquitos port. There, you will be boarded in one of the fast boats to go through the Amazon River to the “Heliconia Amazon River Lodge” hotel.
During the route, you will be able to observe the convergence of the brown turbid waters of the Amazon River with the dark waters of the Nanay River. After touring for some minutes, you will do a short stop at the monkey island, where endangered monkey species of the Peruvian Amazonia are protected and preserved.
After contemplating this huge effort of this group of people, you will continue the boat ride for around 1 hour. When you get to the lodge, you will be welcomed by workers and you will receive a local fruit juice to refresh you. Then, you will check-in and move in your respective room. Right after, you will go to the lodge restaurant, so that you can enjoy your first dish in the Amazon rainforest.
In the afternoon, you will start your first tour through the Yanamono Reserve accompanied by professional guides for about 2 hours. There, they will teach you how to identify different flora species, such as Heliconia flowers, medicinal plants, and giant trees. During this tour, you can also observe different bird species like the turkey vulture (Cathartes Aura), the black fronted nunbird (Monasa-Atia) and if you are lucky, you can observe some little monkey family like the marmosets (Saguinus fusicollis), the titi (Callicebus Mollock Mollock) and the squirrel monkey (Saimiri Boliviense).
You will get back to the lodge to enjoy some hours of rest and relaxation, as well as astonishing your first sunset in the Iquitos Amazon. At night, in particular, in the seasonal high water level of the river, you will enjoy the magical boat tour through one of the tributaries of the Amazon River. You will tour without any illumination, just accompanied by some flora and fauna glints from the jungle. If the sky is cloudless, you will contemplate the splendid shine of the moon, as well as the stars and constellations. When you get back to the lodge, you will have dinner and rest in order to recover energy and get up the next morning to start the activities since the sunrise.
DAY 2: BIRD WATCHING + VICTORIA AMAZONICA + JUNGLE NIGHT WALK
You will start the second day early in the morning with the bird watching tour. First, you will go on a boat towards one of the ravines, where you will contemplate how different birds like the tuki, jacana (Jacana Jacana), ringed kingfisher (Ceryle-Torquata), black-collared hawk (Busarellus nigricollis) get together for searching its morning food.
After getting back to the lodge for an energy breakfast and a short break, you will be prepared to be part of the artisanal fishing expedition. Therefore, you will be transferred to one of the Amazon River tributaries, where you will learn about artisanal fishing techniques, as well as catching piranhas. Besides, during this tour, you will contemplate the friendly pink river dolphin (Inia Geoffrensis). If the expedition was successful, you will go back to the lodge with plenty of fish to be cooked and in that way, you can enjoy a delicious traditional regional dish for lunch.
In the afternoon, you will be transferred to a lake in the Yanamono Island on a boat, where you will observe the majestic Victoria Regia, the queen of the water lilies. Currently, it is known as “Victoria Amazónica”; this native flower from the shallow water of the Amazon River basin, mostly grows in lakes and marshes. Also, you will probably be able to see some white flowers on their first day of flowering, turning into pink on their second day. This stunning plant of lakes and marshes could grow up to 40 cm in diameter and it is pollinated by beetles. The “Victoria Amazónica” is well known by its enormous circular leaf, which is usually shown with a kid sitting in the center of its leaf so that you can contemplate its size and strength.
At night, dare to walk by nature within the lodge perimeter and witness the charming transformation of the jungle in a night environment. While you are getting used to the dark jungle environment, you will contemplate the change of nature and the different nocturnal animals’ habits. This is the best time to contemplate frogs, snakes and other creatures which only walk during the night. You will be able to distinguish a completely different range of fauna in contrast to the ones who are usually during the day. At the same time, you will be listening to the magic sounds of the insects, birds, felines, and owls. After 30 minutes of the trail, you will get back to the lodge to enjoy the dinner and rest pleasantly.
DAY 3: MAZAN HARBOR + SUCUSARI RESERVE + MEDICAL PLANTS
After breakfast in the lodge, you will be transferred to a lodge located 30 km (18.6 miles) away to have lunch. After a short break, you will go to the Mazan port on a boat. Once there, you will take a detour between the Amazon and Napo Rivers by foot to then go on the boat towards the Explornapo Lodge, which is located in the Sucusari Reserve. In the afternoon, you will trek through the primary Amazon rainforest, dry land, and floodable jungle. This trek includes visiting the medicinal plant garden, Renu-Peru. At night, you will make an excursion on a boat by the Sucusari ravine with the light of kerosene lamps. Then you will spend the night in the lodge.
DAY 4: CANOPY WALKWAY
You will start the bird watching tour very early in the morning. After having had breakfast, you will trek along the “Canopy Walkway”, a 500-meter bridge, connected by 17 platforms between the tree tops which have a height of 37 meters above the ground. From the bridge, you will observe the jungle rarely seen and known by the men. Then, you will have lunch and after taking a short nap you will tour by foot or by boat to look for different animal species. At the end of the day, you will have dinner and sleep in the lodge.
DAY 5: NATIVE COMMUNITY VISIT + CHECK-OUT
Very early, after having breakfast, you will visit a small native village, where you will learn about the customs and traditions of the Amazon people. Then, you will have lunch (if the flight allows it) and get back to Iquitos to be transferred to the airport.
- 2 nights in the Heliconia Amazon River Lodge hotel, with full board (2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners)
- 2 nights in Explornapo Lodge (2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 2 dinners)
- Visit to the monkey island
- Jungle tour + night tour on boat
- Search of pink dolphins
- Observation of Victorias Regias
- Bird watching tour
- Artisanal fishing tour
- Visit to an artisanal trapiche
- Visit to the medicinal plant garden - Renu Peru
- Trek in the Canopy Walkway
- Drinks in general, soft-drinks, juices, sodas and/or liquors
- Airplane tickets Lima / Iquitos / Lima
- Airport taxes in Lima and Iquitos
- Tips to porters at airport and/or staff
- Coordinate with the provider
- Tour starts on Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Check in: 13:00 pm Check out: 12:00 pm
- 5 days and 4 nights
- Plastic coat or poncho to the rain (waterproof)
- Lanterns, rechargeable batteries and binoculars
- Insect repellent, sunscreen and sunglasses
- Light cotton clothing, half and long-sleeved pants and cotton shirts
- Moisture resistant sneakers and/or rubber boats (you will be given at the lodge)
- Swimsuit (indispensable)
- Windproof jacket (sometimes the temperature drops considerably when it rains or during boat travels)
NOTE: When visiting Monkey Island, it is recommended not to put on any insect repellent during the visit.
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 3 days before
Terms of Cancellation:
- 15 days before the passenger's arrival, there is no cancellation expense.
- From 14 to 15 days before the passenger's arrival, the 30% of the total program cost per passenger.
- Less than 5 days, the 100% of the total program cost per passenger. There is no refund.
- The provider waits for you in the airport N° 5 counter in the baggage claim area.
- The program can vary depending on the arrivals and departures of the flights as well as the weather conditions.
- For your trip to Iquitos take the flights in the morning and for your return to Lima in the afternoon.
- Transfers from Iquitos to Heliconia in the morning 10:00 a.m (Subject to change due to flight schedules)
- Transfers from Heliconia to Iquitos 14:00 pm (Subject to change due to flight schedules)
- It is recommended for the passenger’s comfort, that organizes in advance a backpack or a small suitcase with all the necessary for your trip in the Amazon River and your stay in the lodge.
- The suitcases or the rest of the luggage will be left in safe keeping, during your stay in the lodge.
- For this special weekend program, the luggage is restricted to 1 small suitcase per person.
Information about the Local Operator:
We only select the best operators whose services comply with our security standards, equipment, and fair price for every destination.
After having made the purchase, you receive an e-mail with the complete contact information of the local tour operator.