City: Iquitos, Jungle // Activities: Trekking, bird watching, boat tour, fishing //
Note: Departures on Wednesdays and on Thursdays.
During the route, you will be able to observe the convergence of the brown turbid waters of the Amazon River with the dark waters of the Nanay River. After touring for some minutes, you will do a short stop at the monkey island, where endangered monkey species of the Peruvian Amazonia are protected and preserved.
After contemplating this huge effort of this group of people, you will continue the boat ride for around 1 hour. When you get to the lodge, you will be welcomed by workers and you will receive a local fruit juice to refresh you. Then, you will check-in and move in your respective room. Right after, you will go to the lodge restaurant, so that you can enjoy your first dish in the Amazon rainforest.
In the afternoon, you will start your first tour through the Yanamono Reserve accompanied by professional guides for about 2 hours. There, they will teach you how to identify different flora species, such as Heliconia flowers, medicinal plants, and giant trees. During this tour, you can also observe different bird species like the turkey vulture (Cathartes Aura), the black fronted nunbird (Monasa-Atia) and if you are lucky, you can observe some little monkey family like the marmosets (Saguinus fusicollis), the titi (Callicebus Mollock Mollock) and the squirrel monkey (Saimiri Boliviense).
You will get back to the lodge to enjoy some hours of rest and relaxation, as well as astonishing your first sunset in the Iquitos Amazon. At night, in particular, in the seasonal high water level of the river, you will enjoy the magical boat tour through one of the tributaries of the Amazon River. You will tour without any illumination, just accompanied by some flora and fauna glints from the jungle. If the sky is cloudless, you will contemplate the splendid shine of the moon, as well as the stars and constellations. When you get back to the lodge, you will have dinner and rest in order to recover energy and get up the next morning to start the activities since the sunrise.
After getting back to the lodge for an energy breakfast and a short break, you will be prepared to be part of the artisanal fishing expedition. Therefore, you will be transferred to one of the Amazon River tributaries, where you will learn about artisanal fishing techniques, as well as catching piranhas. Besides, during this tour, you will contemplate the friendly pink river dolphin (Inia Geoffrensis). If the expedition was successful, you will go back to the lodge with plenty of fish to be cooked and in that way, you can enjoy a delicious traditional regional dish for lunch.
In the afternoon, you will be transferred to a lake in the Yanamono Island on a boat, where you will observe the majestic Victoria Regia, the queen of the water lilies. Currently, it is known as “Victoria Amazónica”; this native flower from the shallow water of the Amazon River basin, mostly grows in lakes and marshes. Also, you will probably be able to see some white flowers on their first day of flowering, turning into pink on their second day. This stunning plant of lakes and marshes could grow up to 40 cm in diameter and it is pollinated by beetles. The “Victoria Amazónica” is well known by its enormous circular leaf, which is usually shown with a kid sitting in the center of its leaf so that you can contemplate its size and strength.
At night, dare to walk by nature within the lodge perimeter and witness the charming transformation of the jungle in a night environment. While you are getting used to the dark jungle environment, you will contemplate the change of nature and the different nocturnal animals’ habits. This is the best time to contemplate frogs, snakes and other creatures which only walk during the night. You will be able to distinguish a completely different range of fauna in contrast to the ones who are usually during the day. At the same time, you will be listening to the magic sounds of the insects, birds, felines, and owls. After 30 minutes of the trail, you will get back to the lodge to enjoy the dinner and rest pleasantly.
- 2 nights of double room accommodation in the Heliconia Amazon River Lodge hotel, with 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 2 dinners
- 2 nights of double room accommodation in Explornapo Lodge with 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 2 dinners
- Visit to the monkey island
- Jungle tour + night tour on boat
- Search of pink dolphins
- Observation of Victorias Regias
- Bird watching tour
- Artisanal fishing tour
- Visit to an artisanal trapiche
- Visit to the medicinal plant garden - Renu Peru
- Trek in the Canopy Walkway
- Drinks in general, soft-drinks, juices, sodas and/or liquors
- Airplane tickets Lima / Iquitos / Lima
- Airport taxes in Lima and Iquitos
- Tips to porters at airport and/or staff
- Coordinate with the provider
- Tour starts on Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Check in: 13:00 pm Check out: 12:00 pm
- 5 days and 4 nights
- Book your plane ticket with Lat Am, many of the other airlines often have delays.
- Plastic coat or poncho to the rain (waterproof)
- Lanterns, rechargeable batteries and binoculars
- Insect repellent, sunscreen and sunglasses
- Light cotton clothing, half and long-sleeved pants and cotton shirts
- Moisture resistant sneakers and/or rubber boats (you will be given at the lodge)
- Swimsuit (indispensable)
- Windproof jacket (sometimes the temperature drops considerably when it rains or during boat travels)
NOTE: When visiting Monkey Island, it is recommended not to put on any insect repellent during the visit.
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 3 days before
Terms of Cancellation:
- If you cancel 15 days before arriving, there won't be a cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 14 and 5 days before arriving, you will receive a refund of 60%.
- If you cancel less than 5 days before arriving, there will not be any refunds.
- The operator will wait for you at the airport counter number 5 in the baggage claim area.
- The program can vary depending on the arrivals and departures of the flights as well as on the weather conditions.
- For your trip to Iquitos book you flights in the morning and for your return to Lima in the afternoon.
- Transfers from Iquitos to Heliconia in the morning 10:00 am (subject to change due to flight schedules)
- Transfers from Heliconia to Iquitos 2:00 pm (subject to change due to flight schedules)
- It is recommended to organise a backpack/ small suitcase with all the necessary belongings for your time in the Amazon in advance. The rest of your luggage will be kept safe during your stay in the lodge.
- For this special weekend program, the luggage is restricted to 1 small suitcase per person.
Information about the Local Operator:
We only select the best operators whose services comply with our security standards, equipment, and fair price for every destination.