City: Iquitos, Jungle // Activities: Trekking, boat tour, bird watching, fishing //
Pack your suitcase and make sure to bring your sunscreen, your sunglasses, and your camera batteries fully charged, because with this jungle tour in the Amazon rainforest the adventure is guaranteed. You'll have four days to discover all the secrets of the Peruvian jungle. At the same time, you will learn more about its biodiversity including the different methods that help its preservation, and of course, you will taste the different regional flavours that Iquitos offer. Are you ready to discover the Peruvian jungle?
DAY 1: IQUITOS - HELICONIA AMAZON RIVER LODGE + MONKEY ISLAND + JUNGLE TOUR
You will be received and welcomed in the luggage area at the Iquitos International Airport, where lodge representatives will help and transfer you towards the provider’s office in Iquitos. Once there, you will be informed about the treks and services. You will also receive some important tips about everything you must- and mustn't during the jungle tour. After a short wait, you will be transferred to the port of Iquitos. There, you will be boarded in one of the fast boats to go through the Amazon River to the “Heliconia Amazon River Lodge” hotel.
During the route, you will be able to observe the convergence of the brown turbid waters of the Amazon River with the dark waters of the Nanay River. After touring for some minutes, you will do a short stop at the monkey island, where endangered monkey species of the Peruvian Amazonia are protected and preserved. You can contemplate the different monkey species, which live completely free within this reserve.
Afterwards, you will continue the boat ride for around 1 hour. When you get to the lodge, you will be welcomed and you will receive a local fruit juice to refresh you. Then, you will check-in and move in your respective room. Right after, you will go to the lodge restaurant, so that you can enjoy your first dish in the Peruvian jungle.
In the afternoon, you will start your first tour through the Yanamono Reserve accompanied by professional guides for about 2 hours. There, they will teach you how to identify different flora species like Heliconia flowers, medicinal plants, and giant trees. During this tour, you can also observe different bird species like the turkey vulture (Cathartes Aura), the black fronted nun bird (Monasa-Atia) and if you are lucky, you can observe some little monkey family like the marmosets (Saguinus fusicollis), the titi (Callicebus Mollock Mollock) and the squirrel monkey (Saimiri Boliviense).
You will get back to the lodge to enjoy some hours of rest and relaxation, as well as being part of the sunset in the Amazon rainforest. At night, in particular, in the seasonal high water level of the river, you will enjoy a magical boat tour through one of the tributaries of the Amazon River. You will tour without any illumination, just accompanied by some flora and fauna glints from the jungle. If the sky is cloudless, you will contemplate the splendid shine of the moon, as well as the stars and constellations. When you get back to the lodge, you will have dinner and rest in order to recover energy.
DAY 2: BIRD WATCHING + ARTESANAL FISHING + VICTORIA AMAZONICA + JUNGLE TOUR AT NIGHT
You will start the second day of the jungle tour early in the morning with a bird watching tour. First, you will go on a boat towards one of the ravines, where you will contemplate how different birds like the Tuki, Jacana (Jacana Jacana), Ringed Kingfisher (Ceryle-Torquata), Black-collared Hawk (Busarellus nigricollis) get together for searching its morning food.
After getting back to the lodge for an energy breakfast and a short break, you will be prepared to be part of the artisanal fishing expedition. Therefore, you will be transferred to one of the Amazon River tributaries, where you will learn about artisanal fishing techniques, as well as catching piranhas. Besides, during this tour, you will contemplate the friendly pink river dolphin (Inia Geoffrensis). If the expedition was successful, you will go back to the lodge with plenty of fish to be cooked and in that way, you can enjoy a delicious traditional Peruvian jungle dish for lunch.
In the afternoon, you will be transferred to a lake in the Yanamono Island on a boat, where you will observe the majestic Victoria Regia, the queen of the water lilies. Currently, it is known as “Victoria Amazónica”; this native flower from the shallow water of the Amazon River basin, mostly grows in lakes and marshes. Also, you will probably be able to see some white flowers on their first day of flowering, turning into pink on their second day. This stunning plant could grow up to 40 cm in diameter and it is pollinated by beetles. The “Victoria Amazónica” is well known by its enormous circular leaf, which is usually shown with a kid sitting in the center of its leaf so that you can contemplate its size and strength.
At night, you will walk through nature within the perimeters of the lodge and witness the charming transformation of the jungle to a nocturnal environment. While adapting to the dark environment of the jungle, you will appreciate how nature adopts a different character and you can observe the different habits of the nocturnal animals of the jungle. It is the best time to appreciate frogs, timid snakes and other creatures that only move during the night. You will be able to differentiate a completely different range of fauna from what is usually found during the day, listening to the magical sounds of insects, birds, cats and owls. After 30 minutes of travel, you will return to the lodge to enjoy dinner and rest pleasantly.
DAY 3: NATIVE COMMUNITY VISIT
After having had breakfast, you will visit one of the native communities that still lives in the Amazon rainforest. Here, you will have the chance to learn about and observe the customs and traditions, understanding their natural and austere lifestyle. You will also see their homes, constructions, schools, churches and you will be able to interact with the locals learning about their agriculture and fishing techniques.
Once in the lodge, you will enjoy a delicious traditional lunch in order to spend a relaxing afternoon inside the hotel, enjoying the swimming pool or maybe watching the Amazon sunset accompanied by a local drink. Finally, you will have dinner at 7:30 pm.
DAY 4: LIQUOR TASTING + CHECK-OUT
Enjoy an excellent breakfast before starting the visit to a rustic Amazon Trapiche. A 10-minute boat ride will take you to a place located on the banks of the river where the locals will teach you how they process the sugarcane extract by using horses and fermented sugar cane juice in wooden barrels and they turn it, after a determined time in storage, into liquor. You will taste the array of exotic regional beverages from the liquor of sugarcane and its molasses.
Afterwards, you will return to the lodge for the farewell lunch, check out and then head to Iquitos. According to your return flight scheduled to Lima, the transport to the airport will be done and you will leave the Peruvian jungle.
- 3 nights in the Heliconia Amazon River Lodge hotel, with full board (3 breakfasts, 4 lunches, and 3 dinners)
- Visit to the monkey island
- Jungle tour & jungle tour at night on a boat
- Observation of pink dolphins
- Bird watching tour
- Artisanal fishing tour
- Visit to an artisanal trapiche
- Visit to a native community
- Drinks in general, soft-drinks, juices, sodas and/or liquors
- Airplane tickets Lima / Iquitos / Lima
- Airport taxes in Lima and Iquitos
- Tips to porters at airport and/or staff
- Coordinate with the provider
- Check in: 13:00 pm Check out: 12:00 pm
- 4 days and 3 nights
- Plastic coat or poncho to the rain (waterproof)
- Lanterns, rechargeable batteries and binoculars
- Insect repellent, sunscreen and sunglasses
- Light cotton clothing, half and long-sleeved pants and cotton shirts
- Moisture resistant sneakers and/or rubber boats (you will be given at the lodge)
- Swimsuit (indispensable)
- Windproof jacket (sometimes the temperature drops considerably when it rains or during boat travels)
NOTE: When visiting Monkey Island, it is recommended not to put on any insect repellent during the visit.
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 3 days before
- Minimum 2 people
Terms of Cancellation:
- 15 days before the passenger's arrival, there is no cancellation expense.
- From 14 to 15 days before the passenger's arrival, the 30% of the total program cost per passenger.
- Less than 5 days, the 100% of the total program cost per passenger. There is no refund.
- The provider waits for you in the airport N° 5 counter in the baggage claim area.
- The program can vary depending on the arrivals and departures of the flights as well as the weather conditions.
- For your trip to Iquitos take the flights in the morning and for your return to Lima in the afternoon.
- Transfers from Iquitos to Heliconia in the morning 10:00 a.m (Subject to change due to flight schedules)
- Transfers from Heliconia to Iquitos 14:00 pm (Subject to change due to flight schedules)
- It is recommended for the passenger’s comfort, that organizes in advance a backpack or a small suitcase with all the necessary for your trip in the Amazon River and your stay in the lodge.
- The suitcases or the rest of the luggage will be left in safe keeping, during your stay in the lodge.
- For this special weekend program, the luggage is restricted to 1 small suitcase per person.
Information about the Local Operator :
We only select the best operators whose services comply with our security standards, equipment, and fair price for every destination.
After having made the purchase, you receive an e-mail with the complete contact information of the local tour operator.