City: Iquitos, Jungle // Activities: Trekking, boat tour, bird watching, fishing //
Pack your suitcase and make sure to bring your sunscreen, your sunglasses, and your camera batteries fully charged, because with this jungle tour in the Amazon rainforest the adventure is guaranteed. You'll have four days to discover all the secrets of the Peruvian jungle. At the same time, you will learn more about its biodiversity including the different methods that help its preservation, and of course, you will taste the different regional flavours that Iquitos offer. Are you ready to discover the Peruvian jungle?
During the route, you will be able to observe the convergence of the brown turbid waters of the Amazon River with the dark waters of the Nanay River. After touring for some minutes, you will do a short stop at the monkey island, where endangered monkey species of the Peruvian Amazonia are protected and preserved. You can contemplate the different monkey species, which live completely free within this reserve.
Afterwards, you will continue the boat ride for around 1 hour. When you get to the lodge, you will be welcomed and you will receive a local fruit juice to refresh you. Then, you will check-in and move in your respective room. Right after, you will go to the lodge restaurant, so that you can enjoy your first dish in the Peruvian jungle.
In the afternoon, you will start your first tour through the Yanamono Reserve accompanied by professional guides for about 2 hours. There, they will teach you how to identify different flora species like Heliconia flowers, medicinal plants, and giant trees. During this tour, you can also observe different bird species like the turkey vulture (Cathartes Aura), the black fronted nun bird (Monasa-Atia) and if you are lucky, you can observe some little monkey family like the marmosets (Saguinus fusicollis), the titi (Callicebus Mollock Mollock) and the squirrel monkey (Saimiri Boliviense).
You will get back to the lodge to enjoy some hours of rest and relaxation, as well as being part of the sunset in the Amazon rainforest. At night, in particular, in the seasonal high water level of the river, you will enjoy a magical boat tour through one of the tributaries of the Amazon River. You will tour without any illumination, just accompanied by some flora and fauna glints from the jungle. If the sky is cloudless, you will contemplate the splendid shine of the moon, as well as the stars and constellations. When you get back to the lodge, you will have dinner and rest in order to recover energy.
After getting back to the lodge for an energy breakfast and a short break, you will be prepared to be part of the artisanal fishing expedition. Therefore, you will be transferred to one of the Amazon River tributaries, where you will learn about artisanal fishing techniques, as well as catching piranhas. Besides, during this tour, you will contemplate the friendly pink river dolphin (Inia Geoffrensis). If the expedition was successful, you will go back to the lodge with plenty of fish to be cooked and in that way, you can enjoy a delicious traditional Peruvian jungle dish for lunch.
In the afternoon, you will be transferred to a lake in the Yanamono Island on a boat, where you will observe the majestic Victoria Regia, the queen of the water lilies. Currently, it is known as “Victoria Amazónica”; this native flower from the shallow water of the Amazon River basin, mostly grows in lakes and marshes. Also, you will probably be able to see some white flowers on their first day of flowering, turning into pink on their second day. This stunning plant could grow up to 40 cm in diameter and it is pollinated by beetles. The “Victoria Amazónica” is well known by its enormous circular leaf, which is usually shown with a kid sitting in the center of its leaf so that you can contemplate its size and strength.
At night, you will walk through nature within the perimeters of the lodge and witness the charming transformation of the jungle to a nocturnal environment. While adapting to the dark environment of the jungle, you will appreciate how nature adopts a different character and you can observe the different habits of the nocturnal animals of the jungle. It is the best time to appreciate frogs, timid snakes and other creatures that only move during the night. You will be able to differentiate a completely different range of fauna from what is usually found during the day, listening to the magical sounds of insects, birds, cats and owls. After 30 minutes of travel, you will return to the lodge to enjoy dinner and rest pleasantly.
Afterwards, you will return to the lodge for the farewell lunch, check out and then head to Iquitos. According to your return flight scheduled to Lima, the transport to the airport will be done and you will leave the Peruvian jungle (please book flights for later than 5.30pm).
- 3 nights of single or double room accommodation in the Heliconia Amazon River Lodge hotel, with full board (3 breakfasts, 4 lunches, and 3 dinners)
- Visit to the monkey island
- Jungle tour & jungle tour at night on a boat
- Observation of pink dolphins
- Bird watching tour
- Artisanal fishing tour
- Visit to an artisanal trapiche
- Visit to a native community
- Drinks in general, soft-drinks, juices, sodas and/or liquors
- Airplane tickets Lima / Iquitos / Lima
- Airport taxes in Lima and Iquitos
- Tips to porters at airport and/or staff
- Coordinate with the provider
- Check in: 13:00 pm Check out: 12:00 pm
- 4 days and 3 nights
- Book your plane ticket with Lat Am, many of the other airlines often have delays.
- Plastic coat or poncho to the rain (waterproof)
- Lanterns, rechargeable batteries and binoculars
- Insect repellent, sunscreen and sunglasses
- Light cotton clothing, half and long-sleeved pants and cotton shirts
- Moisture resistant sneakers and/or rubber boats (you will be given at the lodge)
- Swimsuit (indispensable)
- Windproof jacket (sometimes the temperature drops considerably when it rains or during boat travels)
NOTE: When visiting Monkey Island, it is recommended not to put on any insect repellent during the visit.
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 3 days before
- Minimum 2 people
Terms of Cancellation:
- If you cancel 15 days before arriving, there won't be a cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 14 and 5 days before arriving, you will receive a refund of 60%.
- If you cancel less than 5 days before arriving, there will not be any refunds.
- The operator will wait for you at the airport counter number 5 in the baggage claim area.
- The program can vary depending on the arrivals and departures of the flights as well as on the weather conditions.
- For your trip to Iquitos book you flights in the morning and for your return to Lima in the afternoon.
- Transfers from Iquitos to Heliconia in the morning 10:00 am (subject to change due to flight schedules)
- Transfers from Heliconia to Iquitos 2:00 pm (subject to change due to flight schedules)
- It is recommended to organise a backpack/ small suitcase with all the necessary belongings for your time in the Amazon in advance. The rest of your luggage will be kept safe during your stay in the lodge.
- For this special weekend program, the luggage is restricted to 1 small suitcase per person.
Information about the Local Operator:
We only select the best operators whose services comply with our security standards, equipment, and fair price for every destination.