City: Iquitos, Jungle // Activities: Amazon jungle trek, bird watching, boat tour, fishing //
Welcome to an unforgettable tour in the Amazon jungle of Iquitos! An intense blue in the sky, a hidden sound that slowly wraps you, a familiar smell of freedom, a warming sensation emanating from your skin. Although it may sound like a song, there is such a place: the amazon rainforest. Come to Iquitos and dare to live an adventure in the nature, far from the hustle and bustle of the city; with boat rides throughout the Amazon River that will delight your senses and renew your spirit. Get in touch with the city and its colors, explore its protected reserves and immerse yourself in the local flavors while tasting exotic jungle beverages. Don’t spend much time thinking about it, put on your sunglasses and grab your suitcase because with this Iquitos Amazon tour fun is guaranteed.
DAY 1: LIMA - IQUITOS AMAZON TOUR - HELICONIA AMAZON RIVER + MONKEY ISLAND
You will be welcomed in the Iquitos International airport baggage area, where lodge agents will assist and guide you to the operator's office in Iquitos. You will receive a short introduction of the tour, what is meant to do in the Amazon jungle and what is not, as well as some important tips. After this briefing, you will be transported to the port of Iquitos, where you will take a boat through the Amazon River. During the ride, you will see the convergence of the Amazon River (brown water) with the Nanay river (dark water) and you can enjoy the marvelous landscapes of the Amazon rainforest that hosts little rural houses along the river banks.
After a while, you will make a little stop at Isla de Monos (monkey island), in which endangered species of monkeys of the Peruvian jungle are protected and preserved. Watch the various monkey species living in complete freedom in a reserve without any cages.
Afterwards, you will continue the ride for around 60 minutes. Once you arrive at the lodge, the staff will greet and receive you with a refreshing regional fruit juice. Then, the check-in will be done, and you will be taken to your room so you can relax a little. Afterwards, you will be led to the restaurant of the lodge so you can enjoy your first meal during the Amazon tour in Iquitos.
In the afternoon, the first Amazon tour will start along with experienced guides walking through the Yanamono Reserve for almost 2 hours. There, you will be able to identify diverse fauna species, such as Helicona flowers, medicinal plants and giant trees. On the way, you can see different bird species, such as the Turkey Vulture (Black-fronted Nunbird (Monasa-Atia), and with a lot of luck, you are likely to see some families of little monkeys, such as the Marmosets (saguinus fusicollis), Titi (Callicebus Mollock Mollock) and the Squirrel Monkey (Saimiri Boliviense).
Afterwards, you will go back to the lodge so you can rest and relax for a while before seeing your first sunset in the Amazon rainforest. When night falls, especially in the flooding river season, you will enjoy a magical open boat tour through one of the Amazon River’s tributaries, with no lighting, only with some beams from flora and fauna of the Amazon jungle. If there is a clear sky, you will see the wonderful moonlight, as well as the stars. You will return to the lodge for dinner and rest in order to recover energy for the activities of the next morning.
DAY 2: BIRD WATCHING + ARTISANAL FISHING + PINK DOLPHINS + JUNGLE TOUR
The day begins with the bird watching tour, seeing how the different birds gather to seek their morning food. Day 2 of Amazon tour will initiate very early with a boat ride to one of the canyons, where various bird species, such as the Tuki (Jacana Jacana), Ringed Kingfisher (Ceryle-Torquata) or the Black-Collared Hawk (Busarellus nigricollis) can be seen.
After returning to the lodge and having breakfast and some rest, you will get ready to be part of the artisanal fishing expedition. During this experience, you will learn about artisanal fishing techniques and about piranha hunting. If the expedition is a success, you will have the opportunity to watch friendly pink dolphins. Then, you will go back to the lodge to enjoy a typical regional lunch.
In the afternoon of your Amazon tour in Iquitos, there will be a short boat trip to the lagoon in Yanamono Island, where the majestic Victoria Regia, the queen of water lilies, can be seen. Nowadays known as Victoria Amazónica, this shallow water native flower of the Amazon River’s basin grows mostly in lakes and wetland. This imposing lake and wetland flower can grow as much as 40 cm in diameter and it is pollinated by beetles. The Victoria Amazónica flower is well known by its immense circular leaf. Usually, it is shown with a little child sitting in the center of its leaf with the purpose of seeing its magnitude and strength.
At night, you will walk through nature within the perimeters of the lodge and witness the charming transformation of the jungle to a nocturnal environment. While adapting to the dark environment of the jungle, you will appreciate how nature adopts a different character and you can observe the different habits of the nocturnal animals of the jungle. It is the best time to appreciate frogs, timid snakes and other creatures that only move during the night. You will be able to differentiate a completely different range of fauna from what is usually found during the day, listening to the magical sounds of insects, birds, cats and owls. After 30 minutes of travel, you will return to the lodge to enjoy dinner and rest pleasantly.
DAY 3: DRINK TASTING + CHECK-OUT
Enjoy an excellent breakfast before starting the visit to a rustic Amazon Trapiche. A 10-minute boat ride will take you to a place located on the banks of the river where the locals will teach you how they process the sugarcane extract by using horses and fermented sugar cane juice in wooden barrels and they turn it, after a determined time in storage, into liquor. You will taste the array of exotic regional beverages from the liquor of sugarcane and its molasses.
Afterwards, you will return to the lodge for the farewell lunch, check out and then head to Iquitos. According to your return flight scheduled to Lima, the transport to the airport will be done and you will leave the Amazon rainforest.
- 2 nights of accommodation in Heliconia Amazon River Lodge with all the meals (2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners)
- Isla de Monos visit
- Amazon jungle trek
- Boat tour at night
- Pink dolphins searching
- Victorias Regias watching
- Bird watching tour
- Artisanal fishing tour and artisanal trapiche visit
- Beverages in general: sodas, juices, fizzy drinks and/or liquor
- Airline tickets Lima/ Iquitos/ Lima
- Airport tax in Lima and Iquitos
- Coordinate with the provider
- 3 days and 2 nights
- Plastic coat or poncho to the rain (waterproof)
- Lanterns, rechargeable batteries and binoculars
- Insect repellent, sunscreen and sunglasses
- Light cotton clothing, half and long-sleeved pants and cotton shirts
- Moisture resistant sneakers and/or rubber boats (you will be given at the lodge)
- Swimsuit (indispensable)
- Windproof jacket (sometimes the temperature drops considerably when it rains or during boat travels)
NOTE: When visiting Monkey Island, it is recommended not to put on any insect repellent during the visit.
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 3 days before
Terms of Cancellation:
- 15 days before passengers return no cancellation expenditure.
- From 14 to 15 days before the passengers return: 30% of the program cost per passenger
- Less than 5 days: 100% of the program cost per passenger. There is no refund
- The provider awaits you in the airport N° 5 counter at the luggage collection area.
- The program can change according to arrivals and departures of flights, as well as weather conditions.
- Take morning flights for your travel to Iquitos and for your return to Lima, take afternoon flights.
- Transport from Iquitos to Heliconia: 10:00 am in the morning (subject to changes for the flights' schedules)
- Transport from Heliconia Lodge to Iquitos is at 2:00 pm
- Check in: 1:00 pm, Check out: 12:00 pm
- In order to have a comfortable travel and accommodation in the lodge, it is recommended to organize in advance a backpack or a little suitcase with the essential stuff for your stay in the lodge. The suitcases or the baggage will be put in trust during all the lodge stay.
Information about the Local Operator:
We only select the best tour operators whose services comply with our security standards, good equipment and a fair price for every destination.
After having made the purchase you receive an e-mail with the complete contact information of the local tour operator.