This tour of Cusco and Tambopata will show you the highlights of the Andean mountains and the Peruvian jungle close to Cusco. In Cusco you will enjoy a day tour to Machu Picchu, where your guide will tell you all the details about its discovery and all the historical events related to it. Apart from Machu Picchu, you will also do the Alternative Rainbow Mountain tour, a mostly undiscovered tour. In comparison to the Vinicunca trek, this trek allows you not only to see "one" Rainbow Mountain but numerous while only hiking about 45 minutes with almost no tourists around. In Tambopata, you will have a great opportunity to relax from the previous hikes and to enjoy the biodiversity of the Amazon jungle. Here, you can do many different activities, such as walking through the jungle at night, archery or climb up the canopy tower.
Difficulty of treks: easy-medium
*the following itinerary is just exemplary; you're free to choose the order of the activities/tours in the different cities.
DAY 1: MACHU PICCHU DAY TOUR
- 03:50 am: Pick up at the hotel (for all the hotels close to the Plaza de Armas)
- 04:00 am: Trip to Ollantaytambo
- 06:40 am: Trip to Machu Picchu
- 08:00 am: Arrival to the town of Aguas Calientes Machu Picchu
- 08:30 am: Ascend in the bus to the citadel of Machu Picchu.
- 09:10 am: Entrance to the citadel of Machu Picchu
- 12:00 pm: Downhill in bus to the town of Machu Picchu
- 12:30 pm: Arrival to the town of Aguas Calientes
- 1:00 pm: Lunch (not included)
- 2:30 pm o 19:00 pm: Departure to Ollantaytambo
- 4:00 pm o 20:30 pm: Arrival to Ollantaytambo
- 6:00 pm o 22:00 pm: Arrival to the City of Cusco
You will be picked up from the airport in Puerto Maldonado to be transferred to the operator's office. There, you can store your luggage safely and you will have between 15-20 minutes to pack the necessary things for the tour. Once you are ready, you will travel for around 45 minutes by bus or by car to get to the native community “Infierno”. From here, you will board a motorized boat to continue through the waters of the Tambopata River for aprox. 30 minutes.
During the journey you will have some lunch prepared by the chef of the lodge. Once you arrive at the lodge, you will be assigned to your respective room and the guide will explain what activities are waiting for you in the jungle.
CANOPY TOWER - You will head to a special tower so that you can find birds and other jungle animals. Once you got to the highest level, you will be surrounded by 30-meter trees. This is definitely a perfect place to see the birds that live in the tallest jungle canopy, such as macaws, parrots, toucans, trogons, tanagers, jacamars, woodpeckers, and other wild jungle animals.
LOOKING FOR CAIMANS IN THE RIVER - After dinner, you will sail around the river banks looking for caimans. You can locate them easily with your flashlights, and with some luck, you will also see some nocturnal animals. You will enjoy this activity surrounded by the amazing and magic nature for around 1 hour.
DAY 2: PARROT CLAY LICK + TRES CHIMBADAS LAKE + ÑAPE BOTANICAL GARDEN + ARCHERY + NIGHT TREK
PARROT CLAY LICK
After enjoying a tasty breakfast, you will sail for approx. 15 minutes to get to a place to hide, where you will see a clayey ravine formed by the river erosion. There, every morning, different kind of parrots, parakeets and other bird species get together to perform their fluttering ceremony before starting the “collpeo”. “Collpeo” takes between 20-25 minutes and consists in swallowing clay particles from the clay lick, many people believe that these particles are used for detoxifying the bird fruit diet.
TRES CHIMBADAS LAKE - You will continue your experience traveling 30 minutes on a boat and hiking for almost 2 km until getting to the Tres Chimbadas lake bank. Here, you will find a catamaran that will transport you during the trip along the lake, where you will be surrounded by beautiful aguaje palm trees. With some luck, you will be able to observe a great variety of wild fauna like hoatzins, black caimans, monkeys, and macaws and also giant river otters (Pteronoura brasilienses), an endangered species.
On the way back, you will pass through the parrot clay lick, having the opportunity to see macaws once again. At the end of the tour, you will go back to the lodge, where you will enjoy a delicious snack and have some time to relax. This activity lasts approximately 2.5 - 3 hours, depending on how interesting the day and fauna is.
ÑAPE BOTANICAL GARDEN - After lunch, you will continue going through the botanical garden close to the lodge. There, you will find the ethnobotanical guide sharing his knowledge about preparing natural medicines. Nowadays, many of local people still use medicinal plants like “Ayahuasca”, “Chacruna” or ”Para Para” to heal some illnesses, such as rheumatism, flu, malaria, diabetes or fever. This activity lasts about 1.5 hours.
ARCHERY - To start this activity, the guide will explain you how the ancient "Ese Ejas" made and used the bow and arrow to hunt some local animals in order to supply food for their family. To do this activity, you will walk for approximately 30 minutes through a by-path that is close to the lodge. You will be doing archery between 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the number of people that attend the archery.
NIGHT TREK - At night, after having had dinner, you will do a trek through one of the lodge's by-path to look for insects, amphibians, tarantulas, bats and nocturnal birds. During the trek, you will also hear different animal sounds, including the leaves fall, which make your trek even more interesting. With some luck, you will also see armadillos and nocturnal monkeys.
DAY 3: RETURN
After having breakfast at the lodge, you will head to Puerto Nuevo to return to the operator's office. Subsequently, you will go to the airport to fly to your next destination.
- Roundtrip tourist train tickets
- Transfer from the hotel (for all the hotels close to the Plaza de Armas)
- Transportation Cuzco/Ollantaytambo/Cuzco
- Transfer in Aguas Calientes
- Entrance to Machu Picchu sanctuary
- Roundtrip in bus CONSETUR
- Professional, bilingual guide
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu (only for: Inca Rail (normal or Vistadome) + Huayna Picchu)
Alternative Rainbow Mountain tour:
- Private transport from and to your hotel in Cusco
- Fluent English/ Spanish speaking indigenous guide(s)
- Small snack having arrived at the summit (Coca- or Muña tea and fresh bread)
- Breakfast (quinoa drink, tea, coffee, bread, omelets, pancakes)
- Oxygen and first-aid kit
- Communication radios
- Entrance for the alternative Rainbow Mountain tour (S/. 5 for Peruvians, S/. 10 for foreigners)
- Pick up from hotels outside of Cusco
- Accommodation at night
- Fizzy drinks
- Machu Picchu: Everyday from 03:50 am to 10:00 pm
- Alternative Rainbow Mountain tour: 5:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Tambopata: Coordinate with operator directly
Two 1-day trips 3D/2N in Tambopata
- Wear light shoes, a long sleeve shirt, long pants and bring a raincoat during rain season (gloves during winter months as well)
- Use one backpack or briefcase per person
- Drink lots of water during the excursion and take some snacks with you
- Take insect repellent, sunblock, sunglasses and a hat for sunny days with you
- Bring your camera and your binoculars
- Bring light clothing (long-sleeved T-shirts and cotton pants), sneakers, hat or cap, sunglasses and sunscreen
- Bring insect repellent
- Bring rain poncho or raincoat and a small backpack
- Bring flashlight (rechargeable or with batteries), camera and binoculars (optional)
Terms of Reservation:
- If you cancel the tour before 30 days the tour day, you will be refunded with 20% less, because of fees, bank and administrative charges.
- If you cancel within 30 days before the tour day, you will be invoiced the full rate. These cancellations will be considered as no show.
- The travel schedule may vary due to weather conditions.
- If you want to bring your kids you can acquire their tour here.
- In the case of flight delays, inconveniences with the train schedule or bad weather (rain, landslides, etc.) the provider
- There are two-time slots for visits to Machu Picchu:
- 6:00 - 12:00 y 12:00 - 17:30
- If you want to go to Huayna Picchu please consider the following:
- You have to make your reservation at least 2 months before
- There are 2 schedules:
- 7:00 am - 8:00 am
- 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Information about the Local Guides:
We only select the best guides whose services comply with our security standards, good equipment and a fair price for every destination.
After having made the purchase you receive an e-mail with the complete contact information of the local guide.