City: Puno, Mountains // Activities: Visit of floating islands of Uros, overnight homestay with local family, Visit of Sillustani Cemetery //
This tour will show you Puno's highlights in 2 days and allows you to get to know locals while learning about their culture. You will enjoy a homestay on the floating islands of Uros, which are made of totora reeds (an aquatic plant that grows in the lake). With the local family, you will go fishing, prepare meals, make handicrafts and learn about their daily way of life. You will spend the night on the island and live a truly local experience. On the other day, you will discover the Sillustani cemetery, a pre-Incan cemetery outside of Puno. Here, you will see various tombs ("chullpas") that are up to 12 m high where people collected the remains of their families, such as gold, silver and even food, in order to immortalise their dead. Find out more about Puno's history by living with a local family and touring the best of what the city has to offer.
Note: Minimum 2 people.
After lunch, you will go fishing in a typical boat made of totora reef. Afterwards, you will learn how the totora reed is cut and used for building the islands, the boats, handicrafts etc. The inhabitants of the islands will teach you how to make your own handicrafts made of totora reefs. At night, you will have dinner together with the locals and then you will sleep on the floating islands of Uros.
At 2:00 pm the sightseeing tour to the Sillustani cemetery begins. It is a cemetery where impressive tombs of the Qulla culture can be seen. You will also get to know the Lake Umayo. You will have enough time to take some pictures and to enjoy the views. Around 5:00 pm you will return to your hotel.
- Tourist transportation and hotel pick-up & drop-off
- Professional, bilingual tour guide (English and Spanish)
- Entrance fee
- 1 night with a local family living on the islands of Uros
- Tour to the Sillustani cemetery
- Lunch, dinner and breakfast
- Personal assistance
- Comfortable sneakers for walking and light clothing for the mornings but winter clothing for cold night
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat
- You might want to drink coca leaf tea (this helps to fight against high altitude sickness)
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 2 days before
- Minimum 2 people
Terms of Cancelation:
- If you cancel up to 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 100% refund.
- If you cancel less than 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 50% refund.
Information about the Local Operator:
We only select the best tour operators whose services comply with our security standards, good equipment and a fair price for every destination.
"Chullpas" By Unukorno - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=30189884
"Chullpas" By Unukorno - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=30189770