City: Cusco, Mountains // Activities: Trekking to the Rainbow Mountains, zipline //
Get ready for an amazing time in Cusco and combine nature with some adrenaline! Enjoy the alternative tour of the rainbow mountains and the zipline with a view of the Sacred Valleys' mountains. The Rainbow Mountains will astonish you because of its variety of colors due to the existing minerals in its soil. You probably read about the typical trekking tour to the Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain where you will be with hundreds of other tourists fighting to get the best shot with no people on it, but now you have just found the best option! In comparison to the Vinicunca trek, you will not only see "one" Rainbow Mountain but numerous during the alternative tour. You won't be the one complaining about the 3-hour hike as you only hike about 45 minutes to 1 hour during this tour and you will already see the Rainbow Mountains. The best of it all is that, most likely, you won't see a large number of other people meaning you can enjoy the Rainbow Mountains and the beautiful landscape surrounding it almost for yourselves. On the second day, you will experience some adrenaline when sliding down the ziplines while being surrounded by magnificent landscapes in the sacred valley. Enjoy ziplining on four different lines, each one having a different length, height and speed.
Difficulty of trek: Easy-medium
Reviews of past travelers enjoying our Alternative Rainbow Mountain Trekking Tour
*the following itinerary is just exemplary; you're free to choose the order of the activities/tours.
DAY 1: ALTERNATIVE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TOUR
Your local guide will meet you at your hotel in Cusco at 5:00 am for your alternative Rainbow Mountain trip in a private bus. After a 3-hour shuttle drive to the Ananiso community, passing traditional villages with amazing views of the Andes, valleys, and mountains, you will reach the starting point, which is at 4.300 m.s.n.m. First, you’ll get acquainted with your fellow travelers and stretch your legs while receiving important information from your guide about the hike.
Afterwards, you'll begin the hike for 1 hour on a small path crossing the Palomino Valley with some lovely views over some beautiful rock formations of the area. At 4.900 m, you will explore the area and you will be able to spot much Andean wildlife such as alpacas, llamas, condors (Vulture gryphus) and the rarely seen vicuña (wild llama family).
Once you have arrived at the Rainbow Mountain, you will have a great view over the entire region and also of the Ausangate Glacier, which is 6375 m high (21,000ft.). After a well-deserved break and some energizing snacks, you will have enough time to take some photos and breathe the fresh air of the Andes. You will spend about 2 hours at the summit, depending on the weather conditions, and then it's time start the descent of 20-30 minutes to the starting point where the driver will be waiting for you. After this outstanding day tour, you will return back to Cusco, in a private bus, arriving at your hotel around 5:30 pm.
DAY 2: ZIPLINE ADVENTURE IN THE SACRED VALLEY
The half-day zipline tour starts at 9:00 am. At 2:00 pm at the Plazoleta Regocijos, you will be picked up and start heading to Machuqolca, the place where you will zipline. On the way, you will see Andean landscapes, the Sacred Valley of the Incas and the ancient Machuqolca communities. After having finished the zipline experience, you will head back to Cusco. Optionally, you can visit the textile centers in Chinchero where you can see how the clothes with the typical Inca patterns and colors are made.
Alternative Rainbow Mountain Tour:
- Private transport from and to your hotel in Cusco
- Fluent English/ Spanish speaking indigenous guide(s)
- Small snack having arrived at the summit (Coca- or Muña tea and fresh bread)
- Breakfast (quinoa drink, tea, coffee, bread, omelets, pancakes) and lunch
- Oxygen and first-aid kit
- Communication radios
- Both way transport
- Experimented zipline instructor
- 4 ziplines between 200m-600m
- Entrance for the alternative Rainbow Mountain tour (S/. 5 for Peruvians, S/. 10 for foreigners)
- Pick up from hotels outside of Cusco
- Accommodation at night
- Alternative Rainbow Mountain tour: 5:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Zipline adventure: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
1-day tour and a 4-hour zipline experience on the second day
- Use a small trekking backpack, a hat, gloves and a rain cape
- Camera and binoculars
- Take your sunglasses and sunscreen with you
- Bring water and snacks
- Comfortable clothes for zipline and no sandals
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 1 day before
- Minimum age for zipline is 6 years
Terms of Cancellation:
- If you cancel up to 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 100% refund.
- If you cancel less than 3 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 50% refund.
- The operator is not liable in case of delayed flights, inconvenience with train schedules, or bad weather, such as rains, snowfall, landslides, etc.
Information about the Local Operator:
We only select the best tour operators whose services comply with our security standards, good equipment and a fair price for every destination.
After having made the purchase you receive an e-mail with the complete contact information of the local tour operator.