City: Cusco (Ausangate trek), Mountains // Activities: Trekking tour along the Ausangate trek //
Why you'll love this experience:
Enjoy beautiful landscapes and almost no tourists around.
You'll see a lot of Peruvian wildlife, such as alpacas and llamas.
Be one of the first one to arrive at the Rainbow Mountain for sunrise.
This 2-day Ausangate trekking tour allows you to get to know the rainbow mountain Vinicunca and beautiful, untouched Andean mountain landscapes that you will only find in Cusco. Come closer to Cusco's highest mountain, the Ausangate (6384 m), and enjoy spectacular views of Cusco's majesty, surrounded by colored lagoons or the still unknown red valley. Make friends with local children and families and cross hundreds of wild alpacas while our beloved llamas join us carrying our luggage. Challenge yourself personally to new limits, enjoy a sky full of stars in the night and wake up with a hot coca tea while seeing the sunlight conquering the mountain peaks. Don't expect just one highlight on this tour, as every moment out there is something very special. Get ready for this off the beaten path trek to lead you through undiscovered landscapes that will leave you speechless!
DAY 1: AUSANGATE TREK VIEWPOINTS + LAGOON
On the first day of the 2-day Ausangate trekking tour, you will leave Cusco at 4:00 am in the morning and be on the road for around 3 hours. Once we arrive at Qanchipacha, we will enjoy hot breakfast prepared by our personal chef to get the necessary energy for the upcoming adventure. Afterwards, we'll be on the road for another 20 minutes until reaching the trailhead. At this point, the guide will explain the plan for the next two days and go over some safety regulations to ensure that you are perfectly prepared. Then it's time to leave, heading to the Ausangate lookout (the Ausangate, 6,370 m/20,000 ft. high, is highest mountain in Cusco) and being accompanied by a group of llamas. On the way, you will see various alpacas and local houses.
There is no moment where you don't want to stop to just enjoy this incredible view over the valley behind you, watching over many alpacas in their natural habitat. Around 11:00 am, you will arrive at the viewpoint from where you have an impressive view over 4 differently coloured lagoons and the majestic snow-capped Ausangate mountain, the first reward for the day and the a stop for a break. After having enjoyed the incredible views, it's time to recharge out batteries and get some delicious lunch. Once we're ready again, we'll continue hiking for one more hour until we can see a rainbow mountain formation that is still undiscovered, to your left the impressive Ausangate and the valley, to your right a lagoon and sneak peak of the Rainbow Mountain Vinicunca. Undoubtedly, this is one of the most impressive spots on the entire Ausangate trek. Having arrived at the lagoon at around 4:00 pm, you will watch how the day turns to night. As it becomes cold, this is the perfect time to enjoy dinner prepared by out chef. Just look up into the sky full of stars and you're exposed to the most magnificent view to see zodiac signs the Incas used to orient themselves.
Hiking distance: 12 km / 7.5 miles
Altitude of the campsite: 3950 m / 12959.32 ft
Wake up with the smell of hot coca tea at 3:30 am delivered to your tent, enjoying the sunrise while having a nutritious breakfast that will give you energy for the last hike. It's time to head towards the mighty rainbow mountain Vinicunca arriving there at 5:30 am to be one of the first ones to enjoy this beauty during the sunrise. After having taken the best shots of the rainbow mountain, it goes down, hiking towards another "out of this world" place: the red valley. Here, you will cross red mountains, greet and chat with locals who watch over their wild alpacas and see small houses they call their homes, all while being accompanied by our lovely llamas carrying the equipment. After having enjoyed the phenomenal views of the Andean mountains, we will have another delicious lunch before heading back to Cusco. We will be back in the city of Cusco at approximately 6:00 pm.
Hiking distance: 15 km / 9.9 miles
- Briefing before your trek
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Fluent English/ Spanish speaking local guide
- Small group tour with 2-8 people
- Private cook and a horseman that takes care of the llamas, horse(s) and the camping preparation
- Llamas and horse(s) carrying the equipment and your personal belongings
- Emergency horses
- Boiled water and snacks
- All the food on the trek (traditional Peruvian cuisine as well as modern fusion cuisine and specific dietary needs)
- Dining tent, kitchen tent, table, chairs, cutlery etc.
- Sleeping tent and Therm a Rest (two-person tents are provided to a single person and three-person tents for two people)
- Trekking poles and sleeping bag
- 7 kg of personal belongings that we will carry for you
- Entrance fee to rainbow mountain
- Private transportation to and from your hotel in Cusco
- First aid kit and oxygen
- Pick up from hotels outside of Cusco
- Dinner on the second day
- Horse to ride on (can be rented at an additional cost)
- Tips for guide, porters and chef
- 2-day trekking tour starting at 4:00 am and you'll be back in Cusco at around 6:00 pm on the next day
- You should be in good physical condition and acclimated to the altitude when taking on the trip (we recommend staying in Cusco at least 2-3 days before taking on this trekking tour).
- Bring your backpack (and a rain cover), a rain cape, hiking pants and layers of clothes so you'll be warm
- Bring thermal underwear, fleece, gloves, a hat, water-resistant hiking shoes + an extra pair of socks (wool is best) and if you want to you can bring hiking poles as well
- Bring a torch/headlamp, a camping pillow shoes to wear in the evening
- Bring sunscreen, lip balm, sunglasses and some extra money
- Pack some snacks and coca leaves
- Cash (if you'd like to buy souvenirs) and basic medications
- Bring a water bottle and stay constantly hydrated (drink every 15-20 minutes)
Terms of Reservation:
- Minimum 7 days before
- After the booking has been made, please respond to our automatic email asking about necessary information for the tour, such as pickup spot, food preferences and more.
- If there are not a minimum 2 people in total you have the option to:
- postpone the date of the tour
- receive a refund
- pay the difference to the private tour and do the private tour
Terms of Cancellation:
- If you cancel up to 6 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 100% refund.
- If you cancel less than 6 days before the start of the tour, you'll receive a 40% refund.
- If you cancel less than 4 days before the start of the tour, there won't be any refunds.
- Exploor is not to be hold liable in case of delayed flights, inconveniences with train schedules or bad weather.
- The llamas and horses are not the property of Exploor and therefore we do not take any responsibility for lost personal belongings or any issues related to the usage of the animals.