City: Maras, Cusco // Activities: Visit of Maras salt mines // Reading time: 1.5 mins
Important: You can still visit the Maras Salt Mines up to the general viewpoint but you can't pass it and walk among the ponds anymore.
One of the most popular sites of the Sacred Valley tour is the salt mines of Maras. Unfortunately, the entrance to the salt ponds will be prohibited starting June 15th.
This decision has been made by MaraSal S.A., the company owning the salt mines of Maras, in an open letter directed to tour operators and tourism institutions.
Walking between the salt ponds in Maras won't be possible anymore.
Why will the entrance to the Maras salt mines be prohibited?
In the open letter, the company states that they have noticed an increasing pollution of the ponds due to contaminants, such as hair, paper, plastic and cigarette stubs. This can be attributed to an increasing number of tourists visiting the salt ponds.
As MarasSal S.A. processes and sells the salt for consumption, they have to make sure that the product adheres to certain quality standards.
Given the pollution, they consider the quality of their product to be threatened. That’s why they took drastic means and prohibited the entrance to national and international tourists from the 15th of June onwards.
What does this mean for me if I want to visit the Salt mines of Maras?
You can still visit the salt mines and take a look at them. However, it will not be possible to enter them and take a picture as shown below.
It will only be possible to visit the viewpoint, from where you can see the salt mines.
This spot has become a very popular spot for influencers to take photos.
There are lots of souvenir shops around where you can try and buy the original salt of Maras, which is great for cooking and also has medical benefits.
Source: El comercio
In the same Category
Related by Tags
- Discover our Humantay Lake Tour in Cusco
- Entrance to the Salt Mines of Maras will be prohibited from June 15th!
- Small Group Tours in Peru - Exploor’s Tours in Cusco
- The best restaurants in Aguas Calientes
- Discover our Sacred Valley Tour in Cusco
- Hiking to the Sun Gate at Machu Picchu
- The Differences of Machu Picchu Mountain and Huayna Picchu
- Cusco Tourist Ticket - All You Need to Know
- Machu Picchu Weather - All you need to know
- The best Restaurants in Cusco
- Which train to take to Machu Picchu? The different trains to Machu Picchu
- Altitude sickness: All you need to know and how to avoid it
- Machu Picchu information: how to buy Machu Picchu tickets and more
- Discover the Best Route to the Famous Rainbow Mountains of Peru
- Tips and Insiders on what to do in Cusco - free city guide
- The best places to stay in Peru